Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

29 June 2008

Air Show Tragedy

I had occasion to spend a night at the Embassy Suites hotel in Huntsville this weekend. This morning as we were going to breakfast, we realized that the Navy's Blue Angels were staying there also. They were to perform at the Huntsville Air Show this weekend, so I'm sure some of the other guests were attending also. I jokingly asked one of the Blue Angels if the glass elevators bothered him.
I returned home this morning. This afternoon, I was lying on the couch, no tv or radio on. I was just finishing "The Mothman Prophecies". As I got closer to the end of the book and the climactic Silver Bridge collapse, I began to feel physically ill. I felt severely nauseated, extremely weak, and felt sort of hot and feverish. I just figured it must have been a delayed reaction to the margaritas from last night. It kept getting worse, but I was determined to finish the book and take a nap. I checked my temperature and it was 99.1, this was at 2:00 PM. I kept checking it, and it was slowly dropping until it finally got down to normal at approximately 2:20, at which time the other symptoms began to subside.
I suddenly got the feeling that something had happened at the air show. I don't know how or why, but I felt like something bad had happened. I turned on the TV to a local station, and the crawl at the bottom of the screen with the heading "Air show tragedy" was displayed. My first thought was "Oh God, there's been a crash!" As it turned out, there was a freak microburst of wind, blowing away some of the big event tents. 12 people were injured, and a 5-year-old boy was killed. The wind hit at 2:00 PM.
Not all Fortean, or psychic, or synchronistic events are fun, cool, or amusing.
Sometimes weirdness really sucks.
My thoughts go out to those affected by the tragedy.

No comments: