Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

20 July 2008

Who's That Girl??

Here's another weird but true story:
After graduating college, I took a job as the night manager at a truck stop. In the late night/early morning hours on one particular shift, a young woman entered the truck stop.
She was rather striking and sort of exotic-looking, bearing a strong resemblence to "Audrey" from the first National Lampoon's Vacation movie. She appeared to be in her late teens. She was accompanied by a much older man. She didn't speak the entire time they shopped. She stayed close to the man the whole time.
Flash forward nine years. I was woking night shift at a convenience store in a different city, when I saw her again. At this time, I had let my hair grow quite long (had a ponytail down to my waist) and I had quite a few gray hairs this time. Again, it was late at night, she was accompanied by a different, but still much older man. Same behaviour as before. She never spoke, just stayed next to the man as they shopped.
Funny thing was, she hadn't aged a day. She looked exactly as she had nine years earlier. She hadn't even changed her hairstyle. And when she came through the door, she gave me a look like she remembered me. Kinda like "YOU again? What are YOU doing here?!" In fact, she pretty much locked her gaze on me until they left. And as before, she never said a word the entire time. She wasn't particularly threatening, and I didn't sense anything evil, but I got a case of heebie-jeebies both times.
And both times, even though she was in the company of much older men, I got the disticnt impression that she was the one in charge. Just something about the way they acted.
I've shared this story with a few other people, but nobody's really come up with an explanation or theory that satisfies me.
And I can't help but wonder if we'll see each other again. Maybe when I'm a much older man.

2 comments:

the Albino Bowler said...

Hey. I appreciate what you are doing here. I just stumbled into your blog and saw that you and I have a common interest in Sasquatch. You should probably check out the story I just wrote about my Yeti-hunting expedition, which started deep in the woods of Arkansas, and is now headed to Australia.
Holla,

Gummerfan said...

Thanks for the comment! I'll be sure to check it out!
G