Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

26 July 2009

An Entertaining and Educational Read


One of the books I find myself opening again and again, is The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls.
I consider myself a casual fan of the series "Supernatural". I catch it when I can, but it's no biggie if I miss an episode or have to catch up on the various story arcs. I normally avoid "reference" books or "guides" associated with entertainment. Mainly because they tend to modify or loosely interpret subject matter to make it fit the particular milieu. (that's my two-dollar word for the day, I would try to work oeuvre in there somewhere, but there's no point in trying to be too flashy!) For example, I wouldn't waste my time reading about what the "Buffy" creators have to say about vampires, since the show is a radical departure from traditional lore. Nor would I bother to study what the "Star Trek" writing team have to say about alien races if I'm studying the "grey alien/abduction" phenomenon.
But, the "Supernatural" guide is a surprising departure from typical "fan-oriented" entertainment books. It's amazingly well-researched, and while the series itself may take some dramatic license with traditions, the "Guide" itself is a refreshingly accurate guide to the monsters, demons, angels, and ghosts encountered in the TV series, as well as the actual historical folklore behind them. There are even some interesting appendices listing angel lore, demonological information, even material on hoodoo and the use of herbs, crystals, rituals, etc.
Even if you aren't a fan of the series, if you have an interest in the subject matter, this book is well worth a read.

4 comments:

Autumnforest said...

Fantastic! Thanks for the suggestion. I've been wanting to add more to that part of my library. I have to admit, I quit watching Supernatural about one season into it. It's one of those things where it was on a channel I never watch, a night I usually watch something else. I'll have to pull it up on Neflix and see if I can watch it. It is a really neat show. :-) p.s. You don't need big words, people always sound better if they write the way they talk, then we hear their "voice" when they write and know it's them speaking by the way they say things.

Mike-Julie said...

Cool....I will have to be sure to read it.
~~Julie~~

Autumnforest said...

Hey Gummer;
Thanks for the mention of the books about American werewolves. That's so exciting. I put it on my booklist. I think on my b-day I'm just going to get myself a bunch of new books on weird shit. I really like looking at all these things and trying to find commonalities. I spent so much focus on Bigfoot (my man!) that I've ignored the other things like Jersey Devil, chupacabra, werewolves, and vampires. I'd like to extend my education. Thanks!

Gummerfan said...

Lol! I know exactly what you mean. I've got a Wishlist on Amazon a mile long!
I'm sure you'll find the Linda Godfrey books not only interesting and thought-provoking, but great reads as well. Godfrey is a professional journalist who sort of got sucked into the world of cryptozoology as a result of the "Werewolf" stories she covered for her newspaper. She remains objective, and offers different theories without trying to force any of them on the reader.