Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

22 September 2009

460 Rowland Caliber Conversion

I've converted the Taurus 1911 to 460 Rowland caliber using the kit from Clark Custom Guns. The 460 Rowland is a "new" caliber (actually, it's been in development and testing for a few years now) that delivers .44 magnum ballistics from a 1911 style handgun, with nothing more than a barrel and spring swap. I've also reinstalled the factory grips, replacing the flamed custom ones for now, and picked up a few Chip McCormick 10rnd magazines.
But, the ammo is still on backorder for a few more weeks, so I can't shoot it yet. But the extended mag and the barrel compensator looks wicked awesome. Can't wait to try this f**kpuppy out!

9 comments:

Autumnforest said...

I've heard ammo is harder to get these days. Lots of shops plain old cleared of stock. I'm not sure what that's a statement about... The gun is cool, I must admit. I have a thing for the older style guns and new ones bore me. That was quite a challenge converting it, I'm sure. I bet on Gilligan's Island, you would have made a poison dart gun out of palm leaves.

Gummerfan said...

The cost and availibility of ammo was one reason I did the conversion. I have to order the high-performance ammo for the 10mm and 45-70 anyway, since the commercial ammo the gun stores stock is watered-down so much. So, I figure that if I'm going to be special ordering ammo anyway, I might as well try a new caliber.
And there was no challenge at all to the conversion, just strip the pistol, and reassemble using the new barrel, guide rod, and spring. No "MacGuyvering" necessary!

Above the Norm said...

Nice gun!

Gummerfan said...

Thanks...I'm just waiting for the ammo to arrive so I can find out if it works! LOL!
It DOES look neat, though. :D

Anonymous said...

What kit did you order for your Taurus...I did not see a Taurus kit on the Clark website.

Gummerfan said...

It uses the standard Colt 1911 Government kit. I asked them when I called. And be sure to specify if yours is blued or stainless. With the stainless guns (not just the taurus) you may have to use the weaker spring. (they supply both with the kit)
Try it, you'll like it!

Anonymous said...

Did they say that the taurus was fine for the conversion, I know right now its now one of there listed models for the kit?

Gummerfan said...

When I ordered mine I told them I was going to use it on a Taurus and they didn't say anything. Before I ordered it I checked around on some of the 1911 forums and some posters had already done the conversion on theirs. According to them, Johnny said the Taurus was fine.
BTW, I ordered a .460 upper for my MPA "MAC" pistol earlier this week!
Giggety!

Anonymous said...

Can u fit 10 rounds in those mags? I can't get more than 9 in em. I have 3