Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

14 January 2010

One Of My Unlikely Heroes


Okay, I've got a lot of personal "heroes", some real people, some fictional. But, why would I put Dr. Frank-n-furter in such esteemed company?
It just so happens that (for whatever reason), TRHPS has been playing on TV a lot lately. Granted, sitting at home watching it isn't the same as the midnight movie experience (it's kind of pointless to yell out the audience participation lines in your living room, and throwing toast at the TV is just silly), but the more I watch it, the more I like ol' Frank.
Let me hasten to point out that we have VERY LITTLE in common. Like our taste in clothes. The sight of yours truly in that get-up would REALLY put the "horror" in "Rocky Horror"! I don't know if it's a compliment or not to say that Tim Curry manages to pull it off. And it goes without saying that I'm strictly a he-male he-male. (if you know what I mean, and I think you do!) And I'd never serve one of my guests to, well, my guests.(though I do enjoy both meatloaf and Meatloaf)
So what is it about the good Doctor that has grown on me? First off, his tolerance for weirdness dwarfs my own, and that's saying a lot. My mantra is "embrace the weirdness", Frank wallows around in it buck nekkid, like a hog in slop. I'm forced to give him props on that count. Second, I do like the guy's pad. Who wouldn't love a big-ass castle in the middle of nowhere, complete with a stage/auditorium/theater, an indoor pool with mosaic inlays, an elevator, gothic/medieval decor, and tons of guest rooms with closed-circuit tv links? Convert the lab into something more akin to Burt's basement and I'd be happy to call it Home.
And while Frank's "lifestyle's too extreme", you gotta admit the guy certainly GOES FOR IT. As he says himself "I'm a wild and untamed thing". All night parties, groupies, an accomodating staff (well, up until the mutiny thing).
Frank created his corner of the world in his own twisted image. And isn't that a universal human desire? I know I could dig it.
Keep that light burning in the darkness of everybody's life, doc!

2 comments:

Autumnforest said...

I have a confession to make--I never saw the movie. I know, would you ever guess? It came out when I was in high school and I remember everyone was so nuts about it that I purposely wouldn't see it because it was the thing to do. I can be a bit of a rebel. Well, I got into college and still managed to avoid it. Then, I completely forgot it even existed as people quite lining up outside of theaters in costume. Here I am, all these decades later and still never got around to seeing it. Now, I think enough time has passed that when I see it--not corrupted by having seen it as a teen, I might have a real clear idea if I like it without others telling me how much they liked it and singing the songs. Well, that said, I can see that an independent very individual type person would be a definite idol for those attributes. I never liked to do what everyone else is doing, which is probably why I'm a suburbanite ghost hunter. We're a bunch of odd ones and he/she seems to fit right in with us.

Gummerfan said...

Oh, I'm sure you'd like it. You might have to watch it a few times to let it grow on you, though. You can even go online and find the script, complete with all the audience lines, props, and stuff. Think of it as a precursor to MST3K.
And Tim Curry does a great job. He manages to pull back just enough to keep from going completely over-the-top. And in the case of this movie, that's not easy to do.