Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

25 March 2010

Bits-N-Pieces...

Since my last few posts have been on a srious note, I thought I'd lighten up a bit today and post some trivial little tidbits.

Monster Hunter Vendetta
Larry Correia's follow-up to "Monster Hunter International" entitled "Monster Hunter Vendetta" is due for release next month. I can't wait to read this one, since I really enjoyed MHI. You can pre-order from Amazon here. Then you won't have an excuse for missing out on it!

Speaking Of Excuses
I really need a new keyboard! This one just can't keep up with my frenetic typing efforts. Double letters, skipped letters... Plus, most of the time I'm typing in the dark, hunched over in a corner of the living room. I also refuse to use spellcheck (I keep a dictionary next to me).
And lately, my internet connection has been timing out. I lost almost an entire post because I didn't notice it wasn't saving.
IOW, despite appearances, I'm not illiterate!

Behold The Power Of The Internet!
According to my latest Feedburner stats, I'm now reaching tens of people a day, so much for my delusions of grandeur!

Keeping The Glock (for now)
Having become quite a fan of the 460 Rowland caliber, I was considering giving up the Glock 20 10mm. But, since the Rowland ammo is still hard to get (I keep a running back order with different sources) I figure I should wait until I've got a decent stockpile before I commit to it exclusively. Plus, I keep tweaking and fiddling with the Glock and I've got so much tied up in it I may as well keep it.
All in all, the Glock 10mm, the Taurus and the MPA in 460 Rowland are all ideal power tools for any Monster Hunter. Any of them are sufficient for most big creepy things one is likely to encounter.

Book On The Way
I finally managed to find a good deal on Dom Calmet's "Treatise On Vampires And Revenants". I'm really eager to (forgive me for this!) sink my teeth into this one! Now if only I could find a decent price on Jan Perkowski's "Vampires Of The Slavs"!
Too bad so many members of the "Vampire" community base their research on Stoker, Rice, and Meyer, or perpetuated myths about Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth of Bathory. The original folkloric accounts are a lot scarier and more...original!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I am always surprised on how many people read our blog when the report is emailed to me each week. It is definately more than I thought. I need to order both MHI and MHV books. I know that I would enjoy them. BTW, I have to admit that I usually have a dictionary sitting next to me when blogging. I use spellcheck, but can't quit picking up that thick book and looking up the words.

Autumnforest said...

Gummer--you should have an enormous fan-base! You remind me guy with the knowledge of Loren Coleman, the dark interest of Stephen King and the serious armament like the Terminator, so really you have the right balance. I found going to blogs that I like and following, I got a lot of people following back when they see the name of my site. It spreads like wildfire. Glad to see you're expanding your reading materials and considering your arsenal. I think you're ready for just about any monster. Have you decided what your plan of attack would be for aliens if they could paralyze you and take you onto their ship?? You might want to work on blocking your mind... I'm fascinated with that. If you find good reading on it, let me know. p.s. wasn't that Gable film exposure pretty cool? I actually admire the hell out of the guy who did the film--he picked the wrong market, but he had a great idea. I was truly chilling--and he used a gillie coat? Jeez! Wicked awesome! I want him to make some more monster ones.

Gummerfan said...

Yeah, the Gable film was something, alright! It's funny, in all the internet debate and "analyses", nobody ever said "It looks like a guy in a ghillie suit!". I DID keep telling a guy on the Monsterquest board that it wasn't a Newfoundland as he insisted, turns out I was right!
And yeah, I hand it to the guy, it was a great job!