Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

07 July 2010

Bucket List...

Today, a nice old(er) lady gave me a CD her husband recorded. She had told me that when he turned 70, he started working on his Bucket List. One thing on the list was to sing. He had never sang before in his life, and at 70 he began taking lessons. He got some karoke music, went into a studio and recorded a CD of classic Frank Sinatra tunes. (she was impressed that I had heard of "Softly As I Leave You", what's really weird is that I was just thinking of that song the other night!). And hey, the guy's good! He's even got some performances booked here and there.
So, that kind of got me thinking about how I don't really have a Bucket List. Frankly, I just don't think that far ahead for one thing. My longest-term goal right now is to make it through tomorrow. Plus, I don't believe death is The End. I'm convinced I'll be back. If I thought this one little life, these few years on Earth, this blink of an eye, is all there is, I'd go irrevocably, irretrievably, incurably insane. Just lock me up in a rubber room where I can drool and fondle myself without bothering anyone else.
Sure, I've got a few "dreams", I'd like to find Bigfoot, bag a Lake Monster, maybe solve the whole UFO/Alien/Government Conspiracy Thing,bust into Area 51, uncover the Dulce underground complex, spend some time at the Skinwalker Ranch, but hey, far better men than I have tried and failed at these, and I don't see how I could fare any better.
So, I figure my personal Bucket List should be realistic, and should take into account the fact that I'm destined to be permanently poverty-stricken. So, no blasting through Italy in a Ferrari GTO, or zooming down the Autobahn in a RUF Porsche, no gambling in Monte Carlo or exploring the hidden tunnels in the Holy Land. I won't waste my time trying to get chummy with Loren Coleman, or hoping to bang numerous celebrity babes.(sorry, Rachael!)
So far, I've only got two things on my Official Gummerfan Bucket List:
1: Make Bucket List
2: Die
(hey, it's a start!)

3 comments:

Autumnforest said...

You know, years ago I made a list of 100 things I wanted to do before I die. I looked at it the other day and had knocked off 40 of them already. Scary... But, then I realized that a lot of them are no longer ones I'd put on a list, so I think that a bucket list is rather spontaneous--it's what you want to before you die as of right now... Really, every time you crack a book at learn something new--you've just done it--you've attained one more experience here...

Jessica Penot said...

I think you should keep bigfoot on your bucket list.

Above the Norm said...

Finding Bigfoot is definitely on my bucket list, if I had one.