Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

18 July 2010

Fairies and The Fool Of The Forth

"Cause there's something bout a Sunday
Makes a body feel alone
And there's nothing short of dyin
Half as lonely as the sound
Of those sleeping city sidewalks
Sunday morning coming down"
- Kris Kristofferson -

"Well there's something bout a Sunday
It's a most peculiar gray
Strollin' down the avenue
That's known as A1A..."
- Jimmy Buffett -

I hate Sunday mornings. Not sure why, I mean it's usually the only day I get to sleep in. Maybe it's because I've got a whole day with nothing to do but all the good gun stores are closed.
Anyway, last night I finished Curran's "Dark Fairies". It's a good reference for the darker side of fayery lore. (spelling it "fayery" instead of "fairy" makes you look like you know what you're talking about, kinda like "magik", "magick" or "vampyre").
I learned about a few places in Ireland, Scotland, and possibly Jordan that I'd love to visit. Places where mortals shouldn't tread. There's supposedly a hidden fortress in Ireland haunted by some particularly dangerous fayery creatures who drink the blood of any human who dares enter. (but there not vampires, er, vampyres, they have nothing in common with vampire lore, and vampires don't always drink blood anyway, it's knowledge like that that seperates the pros from the amatuers). Maybe Josh Gates can strap on a parasail and a butt-fan and fly over the island looking for it.
There's also a cave where the Sluaghs dwell. These tiny creatures are no larger than a bee, but they always appear in a vast horde, like an intelligent cloud. The Sluagh are known for hurling stones, sticks, fairy bolts and elshot at humans and cattle, resulting in injury and death. There are even accounts of them bearing people up into the air and carrying them miles away from their homes. I figure my level IIa ballistic armor and riot helmet should be enough protection should I encounter these nasty little buggers.
But, there's one character I'd prefer to avoid. The Fool of The Forth travels about, carrying in his hand a wand or rod with which delivers his "touch". The touch of the Fool takes away the victim's power and reason. Permanently sapping the strength and mental capacity of the poor soul, sometimes resulting in death. Persons who suffered from a paralysis and/or loss of reason were said to have recieved "the stroke". Yeah, that's where the medical term comes from, and I'll bet it's also the origin for the phrase "touched in the head". Ironically, I often joke about "when I have my stroke", though I didn't realize I was referring to a fairy with a magic wand. I did find a little more on the web at this site with a little more about the Fool. Check it out.

2 comments:

Autumnforest said...

Ya'all have blue law there? No guns on Sunday? What kind of southern state is that? Kidding aside, BG, maybe you can educate me. I have a very dear friend from online--for years. I call him my brother and adore him. He call himself an elf and apparently is active in the world of elves... what the hell does that mean? I don't want to offend him by asking.

Gummerfan said...

Well, some of the "big chains" that sell guns are open on Sunday, but the smaller gun shops are all closed. And yes, we have "blue laws" regarding alcohol sales. You can drive to a restaurant or bar, down a few, and drive home. But you CAN'T drive to a store, drive home, and down a few. Never made sense to me.
And about your friend, beats the elf outta me!