Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

29 August 2010

All Things Sharp and Pointy

I realized that I put so much emphasis on guns and firearms and I've neglected to mention much about blades. Since man does not live by guns alone, I thought I'd gather up a few of my favorites for a family portrait. According to some traditions, sleeping with a blade under your pillow can ward off vampires, nightmares, the Old Hag (night terrors), and bring luck and health.
Of course, this may be a little overkill:


A lot of your paranormal entities (demons, ghosts, wrewolves, vampires, fays...) have an aversion to iron or metal in general. My personal school of thought is that the conductivity of the metal effectively shorts out their etheric or spiritual energy. That's why copper and silver have always been held in such high regard as weapons against assorted nasties. Of course, the effect of cold steel on flesh-n-blood creatures goes without saying!

2 comments:

Autumnforest said...

I'm a freak. I admit to being disgusted by guns, but fascinated by knives. I used to have all kinds of medieval arms hanging above my fireplace and some were grizzly. Very nice, pointed, sharp and rather phallic display, BG!

Gummerfan said...

Yep, there's just something about knives and swords that holds a certain fascination in our modern world.
Have you ever handled an antique blade? I wonder what kind of psychometric reading one could get from a sword that was actually used in battle?
And as far as phallic symbolism goes, I always say that in my case, it's not compensation' it's verification. ;)