Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

06 October 2010

Beating the Blahs and the Boredom

I'm sure you've all seen those cop shows with the long, boring "stakeout" scenes, right? Y'know, where the two guys are sitting in the car (or the team is in the van) for hours upon hours, waiting and watching for something that never happens. One of my coworkers told me that she felt "Monster Hunting" was, in her opinion, "a waste of time". (but hey, she bowls, so take that for what it's worth!) I admit I got a bit defensive and began to name some of the great scientific and zoological discoveries that were the result of this "waste of time". The mountain gorilla, the platypus, the pygmy hippo, the okapi... But then I thought of all thoses hours out there in the woods, in the dark, seeing, hearing, and experiencing nothing out of the ordinary. Yeah, it'd be nice if "fruitful" hunts outnumbered the exciting ones. The thrill of finding something new, or undiscovered, or just getting a glimpse of something spooky is what keeps investigators and researchers going.
So, how does one exercise patience and observation without succombing to overwhelming boredom? Some become "antsy" or overeager. Every snapping twig is a Bigfoot, every ripple on the water must be from some lake monster breaking the surface. That feeling you're being watched? Werewolf. Ofcourse it's easy to let one's imagination and genuine eagerness run wild when, well, in the wild, but jumpinf to quick conclusions (and presenting them as evidence!) doesn't contribute to the field and only provides fodder for the sceptics.
I recently sat out for a few hours in the chilly night air. I wasn't hunting a Chupacabra, or lying in wait for a black panther, rather, I was hoping to get a shot off at a pesky armadillo that's been digging up the yard and garden. The armadillo never made an appearance, but I don't consider my time wasted. I got to gaze into the skies looking for UFOs, witness a shooting star, and watch the lights of planes soaring overhead. I shone my megapowered spotlight up and wondered if the passengers and crew could see it. I speculated on who they were, where they were going. I listened to the sounds of the neighborhood and the nearby factories and plants.
While on monster hunts I've seen buzzards circling lazily, yet gracefully in the sky (buzzards follow me wherever I go, it's weird, and I most assuredly do NOT reek of death, and if I did, buzzards hunt by sight anyway, did y'all know that?) I've enjoyed boat trips on rivers, creeks, and the Gulf Coast. I've seen all manner of strange, interesting, and remarkable (yet most assuredly identified) animals from deer to alligator snapping turtles. I've heard the warning SLAP of a beaver smacking the water with its tail to alert his fellows of my approach. I've seen rednecks on ATVs and babes in bikinis.
Boring? Dull? A waste of time? I think not!

3 comments:

Autumnforest said...

Hey, I'm with ya. Ghost hunting is the same syndrome. Nothing happens probably 97% of the time. When it does happen, you swear it was the entire evneing that was insane, when really it was just a few memorable minutes. Still, being in an old creaky building, listening, being attuned, waiiting, wondering when you'll get a response.. it still brings me back time and again. I really wish they'd do a Bigfoot Hunters show because honest to goodness most Americans have very little experience with the wild and someone sitting like bait in the black woods with noises and critters scares them to death. It'd be more a hit than Ghost Hunters because scary buildings are a dime a dozen, but what stalks you by a campfire just out of your vision...that's pretty wicked. I wish I had woods to do that in, but I am making a trip hopefully in the next few weeks to Sedona for some UFO watching with some good equipment.

Adsila said...

Never a dull moment. There is so much you can do while waiting for BF to make an appearance. For me, I would be shooting tons of pictures of nature and all the other wildlife in the woods. I don't see myself getting bored.

Gummerfan said...

Lol! I have a difficult time imagining either of you two EVER being bored!