Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

23 January 2011

Dammit, Planet!

If you've read the classic UFO literature, or if you remember the big UFO flaps of the 70's, you may recall the number of UFOs spotted near hydroelectric dams, power plants, and even high tension power lines. Theories ranged from UFOs "stealing" or siphoning power, to alien observation of our primitive attempts at harnessing electricity, to more nefarious explanations that they were gathering intel for a future invasion. Since I'm unconvinced that UFOs (at least those that aren't secret government aircraft) are vessels from another planet piloted by alien life forms, I wondered about another reason for this.
As usual, once I started looking, I ended up with something much bigger than I was looking for.
The map below shows numerous UFO sightings in the US.


As you see, there are certain "hotspots" or areas with a high number of sightings.
Now, check out THIS map of BIGFOOT sightings:

Note that neither of these maps are intended to be all-inclusive. They DO, however, demonstrate a pattern. While reading Linda Godfrey's books on the "Dogman/Werewolf" phenomenon, I noted that she points out that the vast majority of sightings occur near a large body of water. This reminded me of the research I did on the Sand Mtn region, which includes Lake Guntersville, as well as the Land Between The Lakes (LBL) region of Kentucky (also a region with plenty of cryptid/high strangeness activity). Both these areas were created by damming rivers to create lakes. Sooo, HERE'S a map of major dams and reservoirs in the US:

Now, am I the only one who sees a pattern here?? So what does this all mean? Here's a possibility:
Water figures heavily into ancient religions, folklore, and magical/esoteric traditions. Ghosts, spirits, vampires, fairies, and numerous other creatures and creepies can't cross moving water. Rivers, and especially landlocked lakes (even man-made lakes) are home to a laundry list of cryptids and monsters. In his book "Monsters: An Investigators Guide To Magical Beings", author John Michael Greer states that according to magical tradition, moving water serves as an "etheric eraser" (essentiallyshorting out the etheric energy of the monster in question) while still water (as in a lake) is an etheric insulator, trapping the energy contained within.
So, moving water is a source, or conduit for energy (think ions) and still water holds energy in. Now, let's consider this watery planet we call home.
Rivers naturally flow, the ocean's tides rise and fall, energy is freely flowing. But then Man comes along, builds dams, stops or alters the flow of rivers, creates massive lakes where none existed before, in effect screwing up the natural flow.
The UFO era "officially" began in 1947. From the 40's through the 70's, the US underwent a massive development. Dams were built, the electric grid was vastly expanded, unprecedented amounts of electricity was being produced and transmitted.
Perhaps the UFOnauts were just checking up on us. Maybe they somehow detected the massive disruptionsin the earth's natural energy flow, magnetic field, even things such as Ley lines?
But what about Bigfoot, Dogmen, and other heavy weirdness? Much has been written about the concept of "portals" or "window areas". It appears that many of these areas are in close proximity to dams and rivers. Did WE create these areas by unintentionally creating "etheric pools"? Did the disruption of the energy flow cause certain areas to become "energy deltas", places with higher concentrations of etheric energy out of balance with the natural flow?
Don't know if it makes you wonder, but it does me!

10 comments:

Autumnforest said...

BG;
I'd give anything if you were on that hike with me yesterday. I'd seriously love to send you this DVD documentary that has some theories that run along your lines. Let me know if you'd like it. I got it from the guy who gave the tour. We were discussing the granite mountain and the water there and the theories that flying humanoids and UFOs are actually these spirits that descend and shapeshift into man and animal and can come and go inside the rocks--nothing apparently stops them from being able to go places. That documentary had some guy filming areas with large lights at night and he could look at frames of the film and see these insane looking demon-like bigfoot-like things. It was pretty out-there, but it was pretty damn interesting. Your maps do line up, but they also line up with population which is where there would be more hydropower needs, water needs and more witnesses for bigfoot. It's hard to tell if it's incidental only. There are factors for hauntings too. In the book I'm working on Spirit Vessels, research has shown certain features that go back to leylines, waterways, stones and geology. I think ancients knew what brought the gods forth and they build these crazy stone structures instead of using simpler to handle timber. Oh, BG, I wish I could shoot the breeze with you until dawn. I can imagine the conversations we'd get going. You are a correlations person like me. You're onto something. Now, take a geology map and put it with those--you will find what I found too--richest geology in those same regions.

Gummerfan said...

It shouldn't surprise you that while searching, I did indeed find a map showing a correlation between UFO sightings and mineral deposits. It also shouldn't surprise you that I thought about the possible water connection from your Haunted Formula. :)
The thing about the BF association (and the dogman as well) is that, while these creatures are sighted in remote, heavily-forested locales, a lot of sightings occur near more heavily populated areas. Places where it would be well-nigh impossible for a breeding population of undiscovered creatures to exist for any length of time without major empirical evidence discovered. They have been reported in desert areas, where primates "shouldn't be", and near metropolitan areas where a breeding population would have been discovered long before now.
The documentary certainly sounds fascinating and I'd love to see it!

Autumnforest said...

Well, let me know. I have to say I finished watching it and although as a logic-minded person, I can dispute some of it, when they get into showing the evidence, I got a strange feeling of realization, sort of like if you're staring at someone across the room and they seem familiar and then you suddenly remember them from high school. I had a feeling of knowing something on the edge of my consciousness. I will likely have nightmares tonight and it takes something really unusual for that to happen. Yes, the BF dilemma bothers me. I have always assume it is logical to see him as a gigantopethicus evolved. Land bridge--Chinese coming over, future Indian tribes, future BF... Perfect logic. There have been footprints and the telltale musk smell of him. It is a real beast, at least in my mind he is. Still, some reports of him in strange places like Gila Bend make me believe that DNA might even carry memories of our ancestors so that under the right conditions, it shows us something they viewed. Other than disputing all those witnesses as unreliable, I can't explain it and I'm not too keen on the portal interdimensional thing when it comes to BF. It just makes no sense that such an ungainly beast would be using technology or lumbering through portals to eat some berries and maybe be seen by us...

Gummerfan said...

IF BF is popping in & out of some kind of portal, I seriously doubt it's intentional (at least on their part!) Maybe they just stumble on them, maybe they're sent through by some higher intelligence, hell, maybe WE are even summoning them somehow.
I read an account of a Dogman encounter in Godfrey's lataest book that sounds eerily similar to the invisible "Predator"-like thing from the Skinwalker Ranch. I'm still trying to figure out if these anomalies are purely accidental & random,or if "something" is intentionally messing with us.

Autumnforest said...

"Invasion of the Dark Stars" is the name of the documentary.

Autumnforest said...

Hey BG;
I'd love your advice on documentaries. I want to fill up my movie library with a lot of documentaries because they hardly ever show the monster ones on TV. Any suggestions for ones I should add about cryptid monsters?

Gummerfan said...

Sounds like a topic for another post! You're right, there aren't too many docs about monsters/cryptozoology. I've got a few that I can recommend. Next chance I get I'll do a write-up!

Shannon said...

Big foot is real my friends and i saw bigfoot?

Shannon said...

Iam a monster hunter too we have found a nest from bigfoot and we found a trap of bigffot in a sewer!!

Gummerfan said...

Shannon, if you have any encounters, evidence, or info to share, I'll gladly post it. Email at gummerfan@gmail.com