Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

03 January 2011

Wake Me When The Cannibalism Starts...

Earlier tonight, my nieces and nephew drove out to use our bathroom. Why did they come here to... "go" here? Well, it seems that the entire city of Decatur, AL, literally walking distance from Casa de Gummer, is without water. Due to some kind of issue with the treatment plant, the city's water supply is exhibiting "turpidity". That's fancy talk for muddy. They're blaming it on the recent heavy rains, plus some kind of pressure problem. The city's water treatment plant is shut down for at least 24 hrs. There's not a bottle of water to be found in western Morgan County. One release said the water will be back on late Tuesday morning, the latest said later in the evening. Unofficial rumors are circulating that it's more like three days. (Quick, how long does it take to die of thirst? If you said "three days", you obviously attended Burt Gummer's Survival School). Wonder if those birds in Arkansas stopped by Decatur for a drink? Surely you've heard of the mysterious death of thousands of birds in Arkansas on New Year's Eve, not to mention (but I will, of course) the massive fish kill 125 miles away a few days later. Here's a story about those two events.
Lightening? "High altitude hail"?? FIREWORKS??!! Yeah, right, happens all the time...
It's interesting that both "kills" only involved a single species. I remember hearing an interview with an NBC weapons expert who stated that it's entirely possible to engineer bio-weapons keyed to DNA. Just in case it ever became necessary to wipe out all members of a certain race perhaps, or eliminate everyone with certain genetic patterns. Not saying that's in any way connected, of course. It may be totally unrelated. Maybe we should be on the lookout for frogs and locusts? Is this the first stage of the Zombie apocalypse?
The silver lining in all this is that maybe I can convince the wife to let me spend the tax refund on that beltfed!

4 comments:

Adsila said...

It pays to be nice to your relatives in case you need to use their potties or shower. I can't imagine being without water for that long.

Autumnforest said...

I don't know. I think I'd rather spend the money to enjoy myself while the world is still functioning than to be barely functioning when the world isn't functioning. I say your wife makes you spend it on a vacation. I am intrigued by these mass killings. Makes me wonder if we're testing something naughty. Seems rather strange to have it so close and so soon considering how rare "natural" causes are in mass doses.

Jessica Penot said...

Hey! You live in Decatur! My husband works at Pkwy Medical Center. The worst thing about the water outage is they don't even have water at the hospital. My husband, a doctor, couldn't wash his hands yesterday. I don't know what he did before procedures but that seems like a massive problem to me. He packed water from home today so he could wash his hands. It seems like they are going to have some serious infection control problems in hospitals if they don't at the very least get clean water to the hospitals. In the mean time, Madison has plenty of water. Come on over and we'll share!

Gummerfan said...

Adsila: Yep, I only charged them 3 bucks apiece, since they're family!

Autumn: For me, cranking off a buncha rounds through a belfed IS a vacation! :D

Jessica: I'm not in Decatur, I'm just down the road. We've got water here, but thanks for the offer!