Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

13 February 2011

Couple Of Quickies:

No, not THAT kind!
Remember the Huntsville Marriott Bigfoot encounter? I've just started reading Jessica Penot's "Haunted North Alabama, (hey Jess, they've got it at Sam's Club!). Remember how I said the Marriott is right in the midst of the Space And Rocket Center and Space Camp complex? And how the land around it abuts the Redstone Arsenal and NASA properties? Well, in the chapter in her book dealing with paranormal activity at Space Camp, Jessica revealed a little tidbit of which I was unaware. It seems that the Arsenal property contains a Paleo-Indian burial site. (gee, Jessica, you coulda told me about this lol!) Ancient burial sites and Indian mounds have a long association with various monster sightings. From Bigfoot to the Dogman/Werewolf creatures to Phantom Black Dogs and a host of others. Is there a connection? I can't say, but it was intersting to learn about that.
And while we're on the subject, the complex is smack dab between two highway exits. Linda Godfrey and other researchers have noted that there are creature sightings that seem to center around highway exits and interchanges. And anyone who's researched the folklore will know that the "crossroads" has a long tradition of being a spot to rendezvous with weirdness.
I also received an email this week from a reader who said they have an encounter to share. Hey, I'm all ears! Don't tease me like that! Hope to hear back from you! :)

4 comments:

Autumnforest said...

I'm not at all surprised. That South Mountain area I studied the ancient HoHoKam glyphs at was the site of the Phoenix Lights. Ancients knew the spots.

Gummerfan said...

Yep, it was an interesting little tidbit of information, another piece to the puzzle you might say!

Jessica Penot said...

Thanks for the mention! I hadn't heard about the bigfoot sitings. I really need to start asking people questions about more than just ghosts. I didn't know there was so much activity out there. The place is ten times more interesting now.

Gummerfan said...

No problem! Enjoyed the book. Quite a few accounts in there I hadn't heard of before.
And yeah, it's interesting how some of these phenomena overlap in certain areas.