Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

08 March 2011

Speaking of Aliens...


While I'm on the topic of alien invaders, I'm sure you've seen this article about a NASA scientist discovering evidence of extraterrestrial life.
I find this kinda disturbing in a tinfoil hat sort of way for many reasons:

1: I'm pretty darned close to the Marshall Center (and Jessica, I know you're even closer!) So if the Andromeda Strain or Zombie Virus or Mutant Germs From Beyond Spaaaaaaaaace were to somehow be found alive and escape from containment, your truly is near Ground Zero. Fortunately, I've got a good supply of tinfoil, plastic garbage bags and duct tape on hand. (and yeah, as a matter of fact I DO have an NBC mask and a stock of spare filters as well!). But I don't know if hunkering down with my family in an airtight abode is a better alternative to what may be "out there", especially once we start breaking open the Beenie-Weenies!

2:Did you catch that part in the article where the scientist said that some of the microrganisms didn't resemble anything KNOWN? I notice this part has been edited from most of the other versions of the article. Creepy, no? I'm bettin' there's some geneticist chompimg at the bit to try and replicate the things!

and
3: I've noticed that since the release of the story NASA and the scientific community seem to be doing an about face (or at least an oblique! if you've ever been in a marching band you'll know what that is...) . A day ago it was being touted as a major milestone, a scientific breakthrough. NOW it appears that NASA is pulling the old "wait a minute, we may have been mistaken, yep, move along, nothing to see here" trick. Anybody feelin' deja vu-ish here? "No, no, that wasn't wreckage from a flying disc at all, it was just a weather balloon..." I'm sure even now some of the websites are screaming "cover-up!"

3 comments:

Autumnforest said...

Yeah, they played down the microbe fossils found on rocks from Mars. It could be entirely possible that if they find something, it might be beneficial instead of infective. It could be curative or produce a fuel source rapidly. You never know, but yeah, WE'LL NEVER KNOW. Hey, but looking at your Mayan Calendar countdown, we have only 653 days to party, so what does it matter?

Gummerfan said...

Beneficial? Maybe. I'm just not comfortable with the thought of a completely alien microscopicorganism getting loose on Earth.
Think about how War Of The Worlds ended, 'cept this time we're the Martians...

Courtney Mroch said...

OMG! I had heard about this, but I didn't know about this Marshall Center and that you and Jessica are near ground zero for if any kind of "outbreak" happens. ACK!!!