Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

03 April 2011

Dragon In Alabama?

A reader recently commented on one of my older posts about the strangeness associated with the Sand Mountain region. This is a new one on me, and since it's an older post I thought I'd pass along his comment:
"I found this site while searching for anything online about the Sand Mountain Monster. About every three years, there is a report somewhere around Fyffe or Geraldine that a huge dragon-type animal was spotted swallowing a cow before disappearing back into the caves. If you search long enough through the local papers, you are bound to run across at least one reference. It appears to be like the Loch Ness monster--those who live nearby take it for granted."

Pretty interesting, huh? I found it kind of intriguing that the poster mentioned Fyffe. Fyffe is famous for ite UFO flap and was one of the celebrated locations for the cattle mutilation phenomenon. It's a fact that large reptiles (like big snakes, alligators and crocs) can consume a large meal and then go into kind of a stupor while digesting the meal. The pattern of consuming a cow, then retreating into the coolness of the caves for a long period is consistent with known reptile behaviour.
One thing's for certain, between the cattle mutilations and a hungry dragon, it's tough to be a cow on Sand Mountain!

4 comments:

Autumnforest said...

So, any theories as to whether there is something gas-like being exuded from the ground and making mass hallucinations or aliens to a portal or what? I'm curious to hear what you think of Sand Mountain area. Is there an unusual geology? Could there be a portal to middle earth? Hmm....

Jessica Penot said...

It would be wonderful if there was a dragon on Sand Mountain! I used to work at Mountain Lakes Behavioral Health wich was the mental health center that included Sand Mountain. My clients there called Sand Mountain "meth mountain" because of all the meth made and used there. That might contribute to some of the strange things that are seen out there. I would actually prefer a dragon.

Gummerfan said...

Yep. There was actually a documentary called "Meth Mountain" about that. But, I think the history of strange sightings and activity goes back a bit farther than the meth trade. (moonshine is another story, however!).
I'd like to find a good description of the "dragon". I wonder if it's a quadraped, or if it's more serpentine. There's a long history in Appalachian folklore about "Boss Snakes". Huge snakes that dwell in the caves and abandoned mines in the region. Seems to have a lot in common with the Sand Mountain Monster.

Courtney Mroch said...

WHOA! How exciting!!! I still think Nessie and maybe even this dragon are dinos that never went fully extinct. I just wish someone could find real proof of them. So exciting!