Is there room in the Para/Crypto/Fortean world for a gun-toting, paranoid, bipolar, opinionated bastard? A lonely romantic in search of his lost soul? A knight, Samurai, gunslinger, born in the wrong century? A self-destructive, doom-driven survivor seeking redemption? A heavy drinking gonzo outlaw cryptozoologist whose ego is exceeded only by his libido?
No, there isn't. That's why I'm here...

20 April 2011

Yippee-Ky-Yay, Bloodsuckers!


I've been doing some aimless driving lately. Well, not exactly "aimless", I just came to the realization one night that somewhere back in my past, I lost my soul. It's weird not having one, not feeling like a "real" person. Friedrich Nietzsche said that "He who hunts monsters must take care lest he become a monster". I'm not a monster of course, but sometimes I feel like a Zombie. Like a souless shell masquarading as a human being. So, I've been revisiting some places from my past, trying to see if I can locate & reclaim whatever it was I lost along the line.
A lot of my "road music" playlist consists of songs that tell a story. And Cowboy songs do that very well. Here's some of my faves to get myself into Cowboy/Outlaw mode:
I don't know whose idea it was for Willie Nelson and Ray Charles to do a duet, but it sure as hell worked. Seven Spanish Angels is one of my all-time favorite songs. The fact that I can NOT make it through that second verse without tearing up speaks volumes
Another great Willie Nelson duet is the classic Ballad Of Pancho & Lefty with Merle Haggard. If you really pay attention to the lyrics and read between the lines, you'll discover a really poignant aspect of the story. (and no, I ain't tellin'!)
Does it get any better than Joan Baez singing Bob Dylan? I doubt it. And I love her cover of Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts. I stumbled upon a website and found a lot of Dylan fans posting their "interpretations" of the song. Well, folks, you're all WRONG!. It's a story, plain and simple. It's funny how some people can listen to a song and not really hear it!
Cowboys, ghosts, Hell, and the great Johnny Cash! Put 'em all together and you get Ghost Riders In The Sky, possibly the greatest cowboy song ever.
There are plenty of others, of course. "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys", "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys", Warren Zevon's "Ballad of Frank & Jesse James" and "Jeannie Needs A Shooter"...
If you're into Ghosts, Monster Hunting, UFO spotting, or any other aspect of Paranormal Investigation, you should bear in mind that you're a pioneer. You're staking a claim, striking out for a New Frontier, unexplored territory.. We all have a lot in common with the heroes of the American West. So, before your next adventure, while you're packing and checking your high-tech gear, don't forget to "Cowboy up" as well!

5 comments:

Adsila said...

Sounds like a great group of songs to take on a monster hunt, especially Ghost Rider in the Sky. That song has a creepy vibe to it.

Gummerfan said...

Yep, it's a great song alright. I remember hearing it as a kid and thinking how spooky it was!

Jessica Penot said...

I'm sorry you lost your soul. I lost my mind a few weeks back and I found it behind a box of Captain Crunch. I hope you find it out driving. It sounds like you have a good soundtrack for the search.

Autumnforest said...

BG; You gotta check out my YouTube channel for JosiahUndeadCowboy. It's only just getting put together but soon it will be filled with teasers and videos to enhance the Josiah storyline. Don't forget your cowboy, buddy. Ironically, this character based on you has the same issue with finding his soul and content. You will enjoy reading his plight and hopefully will identify. I'm listening to Cash while writing it. The art work is almost ready and the blitz of Josiah will be revealed online. Hold on tight--it'll be a great ride, buddy.

Gummerfan said...

Jessica, thanks! I went to my old hometown last week looking for it, but no luck. You know how they say you can't go home again? They're right. I'm planning to take a trip to my old college town soon. Should prove interesting if nothing else.

Autumn, all I can say is I can't wait! And yeah, I actually thought it was kind of ironic about the similarity with the character after reading your first story. I just hope if I do find my soul, the poor thing hasn't starved to death!